Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Walking Dead

So, it looks like Georgia is becoming the new TV/movie making capital of the south. Right now I know of two TV shows and two major motion pictures that are being filmed in and around the ATL area.

The other day we took some friends of ours from TX down to Senoia to eat at the Redneck Gourmet (outstanding comfort food, btw..). We had heard that the TV show "The Walking Dead" had been shooting in and around the area for the past few years. When we arrived for lunch, they had indeed been shooting a scene in downtown Senoia that day. We saw police cars blocking off a section of roadway where the shoot had just wrapped up (see photo to the left).

After inquiring with locals about the shoot, they informed us that we had just missed the zombies ("walkers" in "Walking Dead" language) by just minutes. Disappointed, we drowned our sorrow in some BBQ and sweet tea.

I had never actually seen "The Walking Dead" before since I have a great affinity against anything that might keep me up the majority of the night (ie., vampires, Bigfoot, the Kardashians, and, yes, zombies...). But being the trooper that I am, and loving my friends as I do (who are huge WD fans!), I agreed to watch the pilot episode of season one on NetFlix.

Disclaimer........This show is not for the weak of heart (or of stomach!). It is very TV14 (if not TVMA) in its rating and I would not recommend it for any kids (and maybe some adults). 

I watched the episode, and, though I adverted my eyes during certain scenes (and, as a result, had to turn in my "man" card), I was strangely drawn into the storyline and was compelled by the end of the episode to see what happens next.

Upon reflection today, the Lord impressed on me a scripture verse. It is found in Ephesians 2:1-3 (ESV) "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."


At one time we were (or are, depending on your spiritual condition before Christ) dead in our trespasses and sins. We were literally the walking dead! We were dead to life, dead to love, dead to peace, and dead to hope. We walked "having no hope and without God in the world" (Eph. 2:12 ESV). 


But this is where the glorious news of the Gospel comes into play. Paul continues his thought in Eph. 2:4-10 with this amazing, eternity-changing proclamation.... "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,  so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." 


The good news of Jesus is that while we were sinners, God, because of his rich mercy and love for us, made us alive with Christ! Did you get that? We were dead but now have been made alive! And it is because of nothing we did or could ever do. It is only because of God's grace (his gift of unmerited favor). When John Newton wrote of "Amazing Grace", he knew what he was talking about! Our part is a simple response of faith. We simply put "belief in action" and trust in what Jesus Christ has already done for us on the cross and through the empty tomb. When we trust in Him, we receive this incredible gift of abundant and eternal life with Him. 


So, what is the purpose of this new life in Christ (1 Corinthians 5:17)? Ironically, it is so we can "walk"! Instead of being the walking dead, we now walk in a way to fulfill the works that God prepared for those who would follow after Jesus (Eph. 2:10). We don't walk in good works to earn God's favor (Eph. 1:8-9), we walk in good works as a result of having God's favor and living out our created purpose in Him (Colossians 1:16). 


So, how are you walking today? Are you walking as someone who has found new life in Christ, or are you like those who have no purpose, no hope, and are without God in the world? Are you among the walking dead? 


If so, the good news is that Jesus is offering you life today! You simply need to acknowledge His grace and love and respond to his offer of salvation by faith (belief in action). 


If you would like to receive life today, you can. Just respond to Jesus in faith. You can do that by talking to Him through prayer. 


"Dear Lord Jesus, I realize today that I am dead in my sins. And as a result, I am separated from you. But I hate being dead! I also realize that there is nothing I can do to make myself right with you.  But today, I believe that Jesus is who He says He is and went to the cross to take my penalty and rose from the dead to provide a way for me to have new life. So, right now I receive your gift of new life, forgiveness of my sin, and a new relationship with You. I ask you to come into my life and take control, to be my Savior and Lord. Thank you for saving me from who I was and what I was to become. Help me now to walk in the new life you have given me for your purposes and your glory."


If you just responded to Jesus' offer of new life, I would love to celebrate with you. Would you just drop me a note in the comment tab of this blog and let me know. I would love to help you with "next steps" on your new journey of walking with Jesus. I would also love to talk to anyone who might have any questions about what this new life looks like. 


Blessings, 
Pastor Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment