Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

It's crazy for me to think that my dad will be 73 this year. It seems just like yesterday he was coaching my little league baseball team and cheering me on as I played junior high and high school basketball, baseball, and football. I'll never forget the time my baseball team was tied in the bottom of the ninth. There were two outs and guess who was up? Yep, me! (This would officially fall under the "mom can't take the stress" section of life). My dad was coaching third base and called time out so as, at least I thought, to give me a little pep talk. His pep talk consisted of seven words. Words, admittedly, he never usually said to a player, and had never said to me up to that point. He said, "Son, hit it out of the park!"

I had never known the joy and elation that comes with hitting a walk-off home run until that day. But more importantly, I remember the ultimate joy in having the confidence of my dad to do something I had never done (and honestly, have never done again!)

I told my dad the other day that I see more and more of him in myself everyday. He might respond to that with chagrin, but I count it a privilege. I see his fastidious work ethic, his love for his wife and children, his simple, yet powerful faith, and his willingness to take risks for what he believes in as hallmarks that he has passed on to me. I feel the power of his daily prayers on my behalf and cherish the constant words of affirmation, encouragement, and support when we speak on the phone. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, of his pride in me as his son, and I will cherish these things for a lifetime.

My dad has accomplished, and continues to accomplish, many amazing things in his life, yet he is very reluctant for anyone to recall those achievements on his behalf. His sense of duty and service hinder such recognition. But if I could be afforded some margin and privilege this week of Father's Day, I would like to honor him in one way. Dad, I am who I am because of you! Your time, prayers, love, and patience have made me the man that I am today. I can never fully express my gratitude for all you mean to me, how much I love you, and how proud I am to be called your son! My prayer is that I might be half the man you are as I lead and love my family. I praise our God for your presence, influence, and impact on my life. I love you, Dad! Happy Father's Day!

Jim


1 Corinthians 16:13-14 (ESV)- "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.  Let all that you do be done in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment