Wednesday, May 16, 2012

1,353,069,730 Seconds

That is how long I have been alive according to an online age calculator I discovered this week. More specifically I have been alive 42 years which equates to 514 Months, 2,237 Weeks, 15,661 days, 37,5852 Hours, 22,551,162 Minutes, 1,353,069,730 Seconds, and 1,353,069,730,276 Milliseconds.

Upon discovering this truth, the question that immediately came to mind was, "So, what have I been up to?" As a believer, how have I and am I leveraging my life for the Kingdom of God. How much time have I wasted on trivial, unimportant things rather than "following Jesus" by "abiding in Him" in my everyday, ordinary life. The sobering fact is that I am probably, by all accounts, at least halfway done with this life. So If I only have approximately 514 month/2,237 weeks left, how might I live differently so as to make an eternal impact on those God graciously places in my path? By this I don't only mean sharing the gospel (which is definitely a priority in the "following" lifestyle), but also investing my life in others to for the purpose of their spiritual formation and maturity in Christ. 

Two passages of Scripture come to mind today that might "stir us on toward love and good works". (ok, that makes three!- Hebrews 10:24 ESV)

Paul declares, “So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.”- 1 Thessalonians 2:8 (ESV)

The Psalmist challenges us, "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."- Psalm 90:12 (ESV)

May God bless us this week as we strive, by His grace, to put aside the trivial for the eternal, the purposeless for the purposeful, and the unintentional for the intentional.

See you Sunday!

Pastor Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment