Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Years Ago Today!

Where were you 11 years ago on this Tuesday morning? I was sitting at a breakfast table eating and reading when the phone rang. My wife, Laura, had already gone to work, and I was left alone to spend time in the Word and prayer. I immediately recognized Laura's voice on the other end of the line as she simply said, "Are you watching TV?" I responded that I wasn't, and she said to turn the set on immediately. As I turned to one of the network stations, I saw a building burning. I immediately recognized it as one of the World Trade Center Towers in NYC. I was filled with confusion, horror, wonder, and fear. As I watched and listened to the commentary an object caught my attention from the side of the screen. As I watched in disbelief, a plane flew into the second tower. As you know, over the next horrifying minutes and hours both towers fell, a plane flew into the Pentagon in Washington and there was a reported crash somewhere in Pennsylvania. And our world changed forever......

The events of that day play fresh in my mind today as I sat at that same kitchen table eating and reading this morning. I thought about how our world has changed over the past 11 years. My oldest daughter, now 13 and in 8th grade, was 2 at the time. My youngest, not born for another year. I lived in Fayetteville at the time, as I do now, but in two different states. The world seemed a little more naive then, much more cautious and cynical now. But one thing has not changed......

I was reminded of this scripture this morning.

Psalm 2:1-6 (NIV)- "Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed, saying, “Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.” The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying, “I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.

Though the nations rage, God is still sovereign. He is in control of all things. His anointed, Jesus, is "the same yesterday and today and forever". (Hebrews 13:8) He has not and will not change. Even in the mist of events such as that of 11 years ago, our God is constant, present, and powerful!

So, as you think back on that day today, let us remember...

Psalm 99:2 (ESV)- "Great is the Lord in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations."

Amen and Amen!

Pastor Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment